If you always have a terrible sleep, with loud snoring, awakening with a dry mouth or sore throat, morning headaches, excessive sleepiness during the day, irritability (to name a few), you may have a sleep disorder called sleep apnea.
Sleep apnea is a common sleeping breathing disorder in which breathing repeatedly stops and starts during your sleep. Breathing pauses can last a few seconds to minutes at a time. It can disrupt your sleep and be potentially serious.
- Episodes of breathing cessation witnessed by another person
- Abruptly awakenings accompanied by shortness of breath
- Awakening with a dry mouth or sore throat
- Morning headache
- Difficulty staying asleep
- Excessive daytime sleepiness
- Attention problems
There are three types of sleep apnea:
- Obstructive sleep apnea: occurs when the throat muscles relax, and your airway closes therefore you can’t get a proper breath in.
- Central sleep apnea: this occurs when the brain doesn’t send proper signals to the muscles which control breathing.
- Complex sleep apnea: a combination of the two.
Sleep apnea is considered a serious medical condition. It can affect your life in multiple ways. The most common way it affects people is daytime fatigue. Normal, restorative sleep becomes impossible with sleep apnea and those who have sleep apnea experience extreme drowsiness, fatigue and irritability during the day from not getting a good sleep. Many find it hard to concentrate, find themselves falling asleep during the day while working, watching tv or driving.
Other problems include:
- High blood pressure or heart problems
- Type 2 diabetes – more likely to develop insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes
- Metabolic syndrome
- Complications with mediations and surgery
- Liver problems
- Sleep-deprived partners (from loud snoring)
If you think you have sleep apnea, you should consult a doctor right away. To combat day time drowsiness, try taking Adrafinil. Adrafinil is a premium nootropic supplement that will boost wakefulness during the day. It has been shown to promote energy and focus.