Neither is Psychotropic
Although CBD Oil and Hemp Oil are similar to each other in that they both come from the hemp plant, there are significant differences. Neither hemp oil nor CBD Oil have potent amounts of THC (tetrahydrocannabinoids) in them, which means that the chemical responsible for marijuana’s psychotropic effects does not occur in hemp oil or CBD oil to any extent. Though, there may be tiny traces of it in both, it’s not enough to cause concern.
The basic difference is the part of the plant involved. Hemp oil is taken from the seeds of the cannabis plant. These cannabis plants are bred and grown for nutritional purposes and not for recreational purposes. Therefore, there is little to no psychoactive substance in the seeds of the hemp plants.
This makes hemp oil good for cooking. It has a nutty taste that can replace olive oil in salads. Hemp oil is also used in plastic to replace petroleum and can be used as bio-diesel fuel. Additionally, hemp oil is used in paint to make it more eco-friendly than petroleum-based paint.
Hemp Seeds and Hemp Oil
Hemp hearts or hemp seeds are very nutritious and make a healthy addition to your diet. They don’t contain THC (the chemical that makes you high when smoking or imbibing marijuana) therefore, they are not a drug and they do not get you stoned. However, hemp seeds and hemp oil have components that help improve joint pain, symptoms of arthritis, heart health. They can also improve your digestion, hair, skin, nail and immune system. That’s a lot of health benefits.
The only concern with hemp is for those taking anticoagulants. Therefore, you should check with your doctor if you have concerns about possible drug interactions.
Benefits of Hemp Oil Vs CBD Oil
Hemp seeds and hemp oil are rich in gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) which is a building block for prostaglandins (chemicals that control inflammation, body temperature and smooth out muscles). Research suggests that GLA supplementing is required for hormone health and balance. It has been known to help those women who suffer from PMS. Additionally, it helps with ADHD and breast pain.
Unlike hemp, CBD Oil is produced largely from the flowers, leaves and stalks of the marijuana plant. Also, it has greater amounts of CBD than hemp oil. CBD Oil contains up to 15% CBD while hemp oil has negligible amounts of CBD. It’s the CBD or cannabidiol in CBD Oil that its medicinal properties are derived from. Consequently, CBD Oil has become popular in the medical marijuana industry.
It can be used to treat cancer, anxiety, depression, seizures, and inflammatory and neurodegenerative disorders.
Some of CBD’s Medicinal Qualities:
- Helps Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease – As we age, stress can cause plaque build-up in our brain. They say that stress is a killer and there is some truth to this statement. When it’s not handled properly, stress can cause damage to our entire body. Most notably, amyloid beta (peptides of 36–43 amino acids) are the main component of amyloid plaques associated with Alzheimer’s Disease. Furthermore, these amyloid plaques are most consistently found in the brains of Alzheimer patients. In research, CBD treatment reduced amyloid-beta on a cellular level.
- Reduces Inflammation – Oxidative stress is a destructive action. CBD Oil can help heal the diseases associated with oxidative stress. The active cannabinoids are antioxidants that are neuroprotective. Also, CBD Oil reduces the inflammation of the brain’s neurons. Additionally, CBD Oil speeds the healing process of the brain. Chronic inflammation contributes to depression, allergies, diabetes, arthritis, neurodegenerative disease, and more. But, CBD oil contains several anti-inflammatory compounds. That means CBD oil combats aging diseases caused by chronic inflammation.
- Enhances Memory – In Australian research, CBD was found effective in neuroprotective effects to reverse spatial memory deficits in a transgenic mouse model with Alzheimer’s Disease. The researchers reported that, “CBD treatment reversed the cognitive deficits without affecting the anxiety-related behaviors. Our findings suggest that CBD may have therapeutic potential for specific cognitive impairments associated with AD”. In conclusion, research suggest that CBD assists in memory recovery.
- Alleviates Stress – CBD Oil calms stress naturally. Stress is a risk factor for depression and cardiovascular disease. It’s important to get it under control. Since stress negatively affects the CA3 region of the hippocampus which is the part of the brain responsible for memory formation, alleviating stress is a concern for the aging. And for all of us.
- Improves Sleep – CBD Oil facilitates a better, deeper sleep. This is vitally important for brain health.
- Improves Skin – Who doesn’t want younger-looking skin? CBD’s potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties make it an anti-aging gem for your skin. It can neutralize free rads that damage and age skin cells. It also clears up acne while protecting your skin from DNA damage
Basic Differences Between Hemp Oil Vs CBD Oil
Besides the fact that hemp oil is derived from the seed of the industrially grown hemp plant and CBD Oil comes from the flowers, leaves and stalks of the marijuana plant (close cousin to hemp), the other main difference is their use. While hemp seeds and oil are used for health food, paint, body care products, cleaning products, plastics, building materials, and textiles, CBD oil is used mostly for medicinal purposes to ease pain and prevent cancer growth. Both oils are from the marijuana plant. Both are very beneficial to health.
Hemp Oil Vs CBD Oil Bottom Line
It’s uncanny that, whatever health problem you may be addressing, you could most likely find the answer in either hemp oil or CBD oil. And if it were a competition of hemp oil vs CBD oil, there would probably have to be a tie. Each has benefits that are natural, effective and surprising. Whether you rub it on your skin or eat it, hemp/marijuana/cannabis products are an amazing herbal delight.