It is so important as we age that we take care of our eye health. Age-related eye diseases include macular degeneration and cataracts. You can avoid getting these eye diseases if you care for your vision.
This means getting regular check-ups, eating healthy foods, taking the right vitamins and supplements, avoiding intense sunlight, and maintaining your overall health.
Diets high in saturated fat and sugar increase your risk of eye diseases. Diets filled with greens, fruits and healthy foods can prevent eye diseases.
For ultimate eye health, choose dark green or brightly colored fruits and vegetables filled with antioxidants. Include plenty of healthy proteins, omega-3 fatty acids and lutein in your diet. Lutein and zeacanthin are plant pigments that have been shown to protect the retina from oxidative changes caused by ultraviolet light. Foods which have a rich source of these plant pigments include spinach, kale, sweet corn, peas and broccoli. Wondering what vitamins to take for eye health? Vitamin A, found in orange and yellow vegetables, and vitamin C are both vital for healthy vision.
Other ways to keep your vision healthy include taking NAC drops. NAC drops are anti-oxidant and help reduce cataracts, improve eyesight and improve glare sensitivity.
Here are 3 recipes for eye health!
Sautéed Spinach and Caramelized Onions from Paleo Leap
Prep: 10 mins / Cook: 45 mins
- 3 onions, sliced
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 10 mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 tbsp. ghee
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the coconut oil and ghee over high heat in a skillet
- Add the sliced onions and garlic and cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue cooking the onions for 20 more minutes, stirring often.
- Add balsamic vinegar to deglaze the pan.
- Add the slide mushrooms, and season to taste with the salt and pepper. Cook until mushrooms are tender
- Add the spinach. Stir on low heat just until the spinach wilts. Serve!
Apple Walnut Cranberry Salad from Flavor Mosaic
- 1 bag mixed greens and spinach
- 2 green apples, sliced
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup walnut piecesApple Cider Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp. Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. dried basil
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Toss together all the salad ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients. Drizzle over the salad and toss. Serve right away.
Oven Roasted Sweet Peppers from Soy and Pepper
- 2 peppers (red and yellow) sliced into strips
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 350. Toss all ingredients together in a roasting dish and cook in the middle of the oven for 1 hour.